Monday, September 21, 2009

Earl

I have a dog named Earl. He found us while we were at a wedding in Black Mountain, NC a year and a half ago. I say he found us as he was the puppy of the owner of the inn where we stayed. At the time Earl was 9 weeks old and already weighed 24 pounds...........do you see where this headed?
Earl is half rottweiler, half a combo of dalmation and bassett hound. So we were told. You can't tell he isn't all rottweiler, except for the fact that he has a tail..............a tail that could take a small family if needed. Earl now weighs around 90 pounds. And he isn't done growing.
Earl. What a name, right? It suits him so well. We also have Sadie, who is 8 years old, the sweetest dog in the world, I believe that she will be a saint someday. She puts up with Earl to a certain point. Then the teeth start getting bared, and a low gutteral growl starts. Earl likes to "herd" Sadie where he wants her. We always say with Earl, it's all about Earl. He is an attention whore, but in a good way. In so many ways he is like a child, a child that needs reassurance and also needs discipline..........just last night I had some chopped cooked chicken on the counter waiting to be used for quesadillas, I sat down for 2 minutes (no doubt to do something on the computer) and there's Earl, on his hind legs chowing down on the chicken. He normally doesn't do stuff like that, but I guess the smell of roasted chicken was too much. He knew, the minute I said his name that he had overstepped his boundries............in the crate he hid.........Jim got him out, but he managed to slide past me to get outside, and it took an act of Congress to get him back in the house. There wasn't alot of eye contact made for the rest of the night. I guess it just sucked the life out of him and he passed out on the couch until it was bedtime. Earl can be very emotional............................(I know, it's a dog, but once you meet Earl you understand!!)
I'll save more Earl stories for another day.
Until then.........peace out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment