Friday, September 25, 2009

Spam

What is spam? Who chose the name? I grew up eating Spam and loved it. I haven't indulged in the salty mystery meat in years, but it is still on the shelves..........No really, SPAM. It clogs the arteries of our information superhighway. I have an AOL account that I no longer use as I realized that 99% of the mail I received was Spam. Unrequested emails from sources unknown that are generated to annoy, taunt, sometimes embarrass (don't ever use the word erect........) and generally waste our time deleting. My fear is always when I choose "delete all"--what if there is one email that has some importance that I missed that was buried in the other 258 spam emails that I am deleting? What if someone is reaching out to me after all these years......what if..........but my finger lingers over the delete button......now? No wait, let me peruse the offending correspondences one more time....NO I do not want to cleanse my colon......NO I do not want to spend 5 days and 4 nights in beautiful Bermuda for $99.00....NO I do not want to know who is searching for me to award me my villa in Spain........NO I do not want to earn $5K per week from home (well, yes I do, but really?? In my spam folder??) Ok.....hhmmmm that email from jjones392@___.com who claims to know my mother's sister's next door neighbor's cousin who knows that I need a new laptop....nah, it's spam. And where does it go after I delete it?? Into the void of my hard drive...infinite space?? Words and letters unread by me......Am I being wasteful or am I avoiding a deadly virus that would send me into the bowels of the unknown world of someone telling me my motherboard is fried.......I feel like I am in a world of Star Wars.......
I feel self righteous.....no unread mail.....no spam.....a clean slate waiting for that unexpected email from a past friend......a cool website.......but alas.....a new day......more spam.......here we go again.....
Not to mention the time wasted on unsubscribing to emails.......
Now that is another blog entry for another day!! 
I must go...time to purge my inbox........

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patti!

    Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for dropping by my blog earlier today.

    It was great meeting you. You're comment made me chuckle!

    Hey, this post is very funny because I too have often wonder these same things about SPAM....

    "What if I delete the wrong email?"

    "And where does spam is go after I hit delete?!?!"

    Lately I've been getting a TON of spam and it's so annoying because it takes time to go through them. Luckily my email system is set to NAB spam (which it does brilliantly), but I'm still paranoid that it will spam something that's NOT spam.

    Oy vey...

    ReplyDelete