Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sitting in Panera

I have lost my connection to the internet. I bet you are wondering, then, how am I blogging this morning? I am sitting in Panera Bread, using their WiFi. Sipping good hot coffee, munching on an absolutely wonderful Asiago bagel sandwich (bacon, egg and cheese--zero calories....lol). If only I could have scored the comfy leather chairs...........
My wireless card that is my lifeline to the internet in this incessentaly mobile world has for some unknown reason stopped working. During an update the computer timed out and now I have been trying to uninstall, reinstall, etc for the last three days. I guess I have no choice but to contact the carrier and see if they could walk me through the process. It will probably be someone in Columbia or the Dominican Republic that will take the call. I had to call about our Direct TV last week and actually got to speak to someone in Montana. Come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever spoken to anyone in Montana to date..............
Anyway, I truly have nothing against people from another country. It is just rather surreal to be speaking to someone thousands of miles away about something that we consider a rather personal issue. Maybe internet connection aren't personal to many, but when you are discussing your bank account with a complete stranger that has never set foot on American soil, well, it just kind of weirds me out...............
The reality of technology is sometimes hard to grasp, yet we take it for granted. As I walk into the grocery store I can transfer bank funds from one account to another via my Iphone. As I am looking at the computer screen snapshot of my bank account, I can pay a bill either through my phone or on a website and VOILA!! the money gets debited............Truly amazing, if you think about it. No wonder we go into hyper-ventilation and heart palpitations when we lose our connections.
What we need to react to is when we lose our connections to real people. Weeks and months go by, we say "I've been meaning to call her/him/them. "Oh, she called me.....oh my god, was that three weeks ago??" Shame on us for that. But that is also the reality of it all.
So I will go to Wal-mart, do alittle shopping, no doubt buy at least one think that I do not need or require to survive in this life. Then go home take a deep breath, maybe do a shot or two of tequila, just for good measure and make a call to my new BFF in Venezuala.....................
Peace out my friends, have a lovely Sunday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment