Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stew

I made stew tonight. It is cold out and I wanted to make something that will warm the soul. Beef, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions. True earthy fresh ingredients. Individually they are red, orange, green, white and yellow. But put them in a pot and simmer for several hours and the colors all blend together into a symphony. I normally make a stew that has alittle red wine to add color. Tonight I decided to add tomatoes. A can of pear tomatoes laced with basil. My mom makes tomato based stew, I prefer the brown type. But having it simmering for that last several hours makes me feel like Mom is the cook. She would make dumplings and gently ease the dough onto the simmering pot and let them puff up into puffy clouds. It was my Dad's favorite part of the stew. It is almost 9:30 and alittle late for the dumplings. Maybe tomorrow when I reheat it I will slip some on top. I made an irish stew with guiness a few weeks ago, not a big hit in the house, unfortunately. It smelled wonderful but it had a different flavor. At least I tried something different.
Sometimes different works and sometimes it doesn't. Tried and true is safe and a sure bet. But where would we be if all we ever did was the tried and true? Admittedly this is the first time I used tomatoes in my stew. I feel like I have expanded my horizons a bit. I think that I am going to exercise my right to step out of my box more often. I would say once a day, twice a week, once a month, but part of the reason to do it is to be spontaneously inspired. Sometimes I feel like we need more inspiration, but we choose to play it safe and do what we know, what is safe, what is predictable. I admit, I am not what you would call conventional about alot of things, but I think that I have become rather predictable lately. So tomorrow I will seek inspiration, part my hair on the other side, change my purse. My point is, tomorrow is a new day and why not rearrange the furniture a bit??
Carpe Diem!! Seize the Day!!
Here's to something new!!

No comments:

Post a Comment