Monday, February 7, 2011

I wasn't born yesterday

So, at work today I took a phone call that a coworker was needing some help with. Apparently the person on the other end of the line wanted something that my coworker wasn't sure about. She was doubting this person's story, as we had a similar situation last week connected to the same issue. I got on the phone, introduced myself and listened. I told this person what I needed from her in order for her to get what she wanted, but to my non-dismay, she proceeded to tell me why she didn't need to provide me with what was required. She started using big words, spoke in circles and basically tried to confuse me. This is when I think I am at my best. I love to see someone bury themselves when they are lying. Not because I enjoy other people's pain, but because nothing irritates me more than an opportunist. My time is just as important as anyone elses, so don't waste mine with bullshit.
Our conversation was pretty much at a stalemate, so I took her number and told her I would call her back when I verified that what she was telling me was true. I knew I wasn't going to give in, but sometimes stepping away from a situation is more effective than debating the issue. I called her back and stuck to my guns. I was told that I didn't understand the process and that I needed to just do what she wanted me to do. I am pretty sure I was on speaker phone my now, but I didn't care. I asked her to fax or email me over the documentation that I needed and she finally caved in and said she would send it. She asked for my fax number, said it would be right over and said goodbye. This was at noon. Guess what?? No fax ever came through. Shocker...............
I wasn't born yesterday. Don't treat me like I was.
My point is you have to be on your toes all the time. Understanding the big picture of a situation is so important. I am always encouraging my coworkers to pay attention at everything that goes on around them. Know what you are talking about, or don't talk about it at all. There is nothing worse than back paddling out of a bad situation.
So, that's what happened in my world today. How was yours??

No comments:

Post a Comment