Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Thrill of the Thrift Shop

So today I found ,a few "treasures" at Goodwill.
I'll admit it, I'm a thrift shop junkie. I love the anticipation I feel when I am pulling into the parking lot. Not knowing what is sitting in the store waiting for a new home is almost unbearable. Where to look first? Clothing? Shoes? Books?
I wonder if alot of people have a routine. I know I do. Depending one what store I go to. Yes, I frequent several! Not just Goodwill-there's the Rescue Mission, The Bargain Box.......etc etc.
Wherever I go I tend to peruse the "perimeter" first--jewelery, housewares, hats, shoes, books. Oh, how I love the books. I have too many now, why do I feel the need for more? I have a list of authors that I look for, and I have multiples of the same book by the same author. Why do I need this? I don't know. But the hunt and the anticipation and then the feeling of gratification when I find one is worth it. Another copy of Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindberg? Yes.
Anything by Jimmy Buffett (who already takes up an entire shelf?) Check. Susan Branch, Nicholas Sparks, Oriah Mountain Dreamer........the list goes on and on. I found the enire Nicholas Sparks collection (hardback) at the Rescue Mission--$1.75, buy one get one free....YAHOO
I love the "bins". I have found some of the most interesting tablecloths, throws, napkins, pillows. The best part--if they get ruined, I've invested $3.00 at the most.
Todays take was--5 woven hanging baskets-$3.00 each, one outdoor clamp light, brand new--$4.00, one Columbia sweatshirt--$4.39---one PGA Tour golf shirt---$4.39. How much fun!!
You can't go expecting to find something. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I had been looking for a desk and a dining room table for almost a year. I didn't NEED either one, but if I found one, I would snap it up. I finally found the perfect desk--it looked like an old school desk, not too big, two drawers on the right side. The bonus?? A dinosaur sticker hidden on the backside of the front of the desk. There is a little shelf to rest your feet on and the dinosaur lives there. I will not remove him, I have learned to share the desk with him.
The dining room table was an amazing find. Square in shape, hand rubbed honey pine. Just beautiful.
You know when you see something that is a find. I have casually strolled up to an item, hoping my pounding heart doesn't give me away--the latest triumph was a pair of Merrell hiking shoes--retail about $90.00--my price? $3.59. Like new. I have also recently found a Helly Henson parka--retail anywhere from $250-$400--my price--$26.00.
One must--if you aren't sure, don't buy it. I have recycled alot of items that I thought I could make work, etc. If it isn't what you want, pass on it. If you go back a week later and it is still there, grab it. It found you and waited for you to return. Yeah, kind of wacky, but I believe in that theory wholeheartedly.
Go forward my friends, go with an open mind, go with cash.........alot of stores don't take cards.
Enjoy the experience--be patient, but leave if the mood doesn't feel right. All you will do is get aggravated and not want to return!!
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment