Friday, November 27, 2009

I made biscuits

Years ago I made biscuits. I worked in a Texaco gas station that had a kitchen. I was originally hired to work weekends, fri, sat and sun nights. The station had a cook that made biscuits every morning but Sunday. Sausage patty, sausage link, steak, country ham, chicken and cheese biscuits. After I had been there for several months she quit, leaving an opening............I had been cooking on Saturday mornings and had a bit of a following..................I got a call, "Patti, if you want the position it's yours...." I was in Florida visiting my parents..had to cut the vacation short. But it was worth it...............I began a journey that ended too soon, a journey that has created great memories, and created the desire to go back to the basics of baking and cooking for people who lined up at 6am to grab a biscuit, a cup of coffee and a smile from the girl in the kitchen who was up to her elbows in flour.........


I loved the job. Loved getting to work at 5am, long before most people even thought about getting out of bed, especially on cold winter mornings But get up I did, at 4am. I loved being up and out and brewing coffee, mixing and patting each batch of dough as if it was a fragile newborn. I made an average of 120-140 biscuits every morning by 7am.......in addition to doughnuts....For a special treat every once in awhile I would whip up blueberry biscuits dipped in a sugar glaze........they flew out the doors.

Lunch would bring pork barbeque, either chicken, meatloaf, salisbury steak, fries, two vegetables and more biscuits.............I made ham sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, bologna sandwiches. And hotdogs, the good german kind. Up to 6 dozen every day
I loved getting up earlier than most people would be willing or able to, knowing that I would be the first person most of the people coming in would see. Coffee, a biscuit, a smile, a kind word, I loved it.. My daughter was young, 3,4,5 years old. She was our official little mascot for the station She would sit with the customers, I believe that her exceptional people skills were born in that little place.
Life went on, a single mom needed to make more money......but over the years, as I get older I realize that my heart belongs to that little kitchen that I called my own all those years ago. I am successful in my field, and I don't regret any path I've taken.
But I do know that if I ever get a chance to get back to the simple joy of baking for the masses, or maybe just for a small following, I would hang up my hat in a minute and move on.............
I made biscuits...........and I am proud of the biscuits I made.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment