Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday so far

I love weekend mornings. Our Sundays usually are low key, either getting up and out early, bagels, newspaper, coffee, people watching no matter where we decide to have breakfast. Seeing where the day takes us.
Today was a little different. Jim got an early (7:30) phone call from a friend who is sick with the flu. Can he cover a gig for him (they are photographers, more on that another day :) )
Out the door he went to shoot an 8:00 soccer game.
So now I find myself home on a Sunday morning, dogs running around in the yard. It is 36 degrees. BBrrrrr............
Made coffee, lit some candles, pulled up the blinds. Let the sunshine in!! Decided to listen to Holiday Tunes on Sirius.............getting into the holiday mood. Time to bake something. Pumpkin bread sounds good. I love to bake. Anything and everything. I jump on any excuse I can to bake something for someone, for an occasion, anything. I listened to two girls in the nail salon yesterday talking about last year, when the husband of one of the girls was deployed in Iraq. She made the statement that she sent him cookies. Homemade, from scratch. She had never done it before, probably wouldn't do it again. There are generations of people who don't have a clue how to sift flour, measure brown sugar, or fold eggwhites into batter. I am happy to say that my daugher, now 21, can tackle a recipe and produce a hell of a peanut butter cookie,........I wanted her to know and hopefully grow to love the art of baking. It saddens me to see commercials about home baking, when all that it really takes is tearing off the wrapping, transferring the premade dough to a cookie sheet and setting the timer. I know people are busy, lives are filled with too much to do, too little time to do it.... ............but still, it saddens me. I am guilty of falling for convenience myself. But the fact of the matter is, I know how to do it from scratch...........
Well, where did that tangient come from?? I guess it is just having a Sunday morning to reflect.
What do other people do on Sunday mornings? Do tell.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment